Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 28


Today's mindfulness is inspired by my craving for: "awesome crepes, grape soda & ginger beer (mixed)." I find cravings challenging and it's harder for me to practice mindfulness when I have one. My tendency is either to go out and get whatever I'm craving or I ended up eating mindlessly everything else around me. I often find if I let myself get whatever 'fix' I need, I'm less likely to over eat or start bingeing. 
This isn't always the case and since I currently don't have away to get my 'fix' of any of the things I'm craving I thought I'd try something else to ease my gut-wrenching need. I went to the fridge and grabbed my trusty, shiny, red water bottle. Just the coolness was enough to start taking the edge off. I spent a few moments just observing the bottle in my hand, and then a few minutes describing the bottle and accompanying body sensations. When I felt grounded I opened the bottle, one mindfully, and started to drink the water. It was a refreshing experiences that has left me feeling very grounded. When I have a kick of the craving I take another slow, long drink of water. An when I finish this update I'm going to make myself a healthy and tasty dinner. 

Today's Mindfulness (Day 28 ~ 31 Days of Mindfulness) 
 Get yourself a drink of water. If you can pour the water into an interesting glass or mug. Spend a few minutes observing* and describing** the water and your glass. Pay attention to body sensations. When your ready slowly drink your water. Pause between sips to notice and observe the journey of the water from your glass, to your lips, and down your throat. 
If you don't enjoy the taste of water, I recommend this post from Helen Terry. She offers some helpful suggestions to make water more tasty and talks about the benefits of staying hydrated are. You can combine making your drink with this mindfulness.  

DBT Definitions
*Observing is sensing or experiencing without describing or labeling the experience.  It is noticing or attending to something.  The benefit of this practice is that the mind becomes quiet.  Eventually, you will be able to observe things without a running commentary of a talkative mind.  Preoccupation, rumination, distraction, and daydreaming are all examples of a talkative mind.   
**Describing is using words to represent what you observe.  Observing is just noticing and attending; there are no words. Describing is a reaction to observing; it is labeling what is observed.  Such acknowledgement is an expressed recognition of your experience. Describing is using words to represent what you observe.  Describing is “just the facts.”  Judging is labeling something in an evaluative way. 
You can read more about DBT What Skills here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment